Hot tap valve won't separate from end of tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm attempting to change the hot water valve in our Bristan Colonial monbloc kitchen tap.

I've removed the valve from the tap base but I'm unable to detach the part of the tap you turn despite removing the screw on the end. The valve seems to catch on something as I'm turning it.

Having refitted the old valve as I couldn't separate the end of the tap but we now have no water flow.

Think the valve definitely needs replacing but don't know how to get the tap off the end!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Think its a traditional washered tap. We had low water pressure coming through so Bristan recommended a new valve.

I was expecting to remove the decorative cover on the end of the tap, unscrew the screw and then pull the tap end off the valve.
It won't budge.

So then I managed to remove the tap end and valve (attached to one another) from the base of the tap.

The tap end and valve turn on one another and something between them seems to catch but they won't come apart. Tried using some descaler (as we live in a very hard water area) but that hasn't made any difference.

Can't understand why we have no water flow now, once everything has gone back together either.

Any ideas, would really like to get the new valve in but any hot water flow would be good!!

Thanks for your time and interest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back