Hot taps but warm shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem I have is a luke warm shower and red hot taps.

I have a Baxi Solo HE condensing boiler, a gravity fed mixer shower x 2 (main b/room and ensuite) fed from a Centercyl 85 which does not have the sepaerate shower connection for 2 baths/shower.....Yes a problem straight away, your all going to say.

However been fine for 3 years but last few months it has got worse till now the shower is luke warm with immersion on and hot water on.

Not being a heating engineer my logic points to the cylinder but how can the taps be red hot, cylinder stat set at the recommended 60.
Are the taps fed direct from the boiler and the shower from the cylinder??

It has a 5 year garuantee on the cylinder and it is border line wether it is in warranty, I have had to change the rod stat before, could it have gone again?

Any advice welcomed

Sponsored Links
All hot supplies should be from the cylinder. If cylinder is hot then problem must lie in feed to showers. Check all valves are fully open, and any filters in shower inlets are clean.

I'd also switch immersion off (keep as a backup in the event of a boiler breakdown), heating the water using the boiler is more efficient and cheaper than using the immersion.

Thanks Hugh,

See pic of mixer, how the heck do you get these off? There is a small hole on the dial, does this realease a circlip or is there a grub screw in there.

View media item 40516
In the loft it is plumbed in grey plastic no copper dropping down the cavity to the shower mixer straight of the cylinder.

Thanks[/img]

Sorry when I say off the cylinder I mean from the cylinder/header tank system, as i said in original post this is a Centercyl 85 without the shower outlet.

More pics of system if reqd.....I have 2 tanks above cylinder, presumably for CH and hot water???? Both have isolating valves (red wheels), both virtualy fully open, pump is a Wylo gold set on 3, but thats for CH only isnt it??

Any how mixer tap strip down to get these filters is worth a shot.

Sponsored Links
Pump should be for CH, tanks, larger is cold storage, smaller central heating F&E.

Might be a grub screw in the holes in the dials, this would allow heads to be removed. You may then be able to undo and remove the 'guts' of the shower. (Switch off supplies first!) Turning hot supply back on at this stage may flush any debris out but make sure you dont flood the place in the process!

Cranked up the setting on the boiler and eureka, hot showers!!!

The missus is now banned from touching the dial on the boiler, it was turned right down! :oops:

Thanks to all for your input, of owt changes will let you know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back