hot and cold shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help with this please. I have a mira mixer shower that has worked great for the last 18 years. I have recently had my boiler changed to a vaillant ecotech plus combi boiler and done away with the old cylinder. Everything else in the house works fine including no problems with the hot and cold basin taps right next to the shower. But the shower most times only runs luke warm. Occasionally it will run hot sometimes very hot but then usually but not always goes back to luke warm. There is nothing else using any water when I am using the shower. Can anyone help please. Mike

Sponsored Links
If it's a non-thermostatic mixer it's unlikely to work well with a combi. Usually if you change to a combi it often means changing the shower for a pressure-balanced or preferably thermostatic valve.

Thanks for your swift answer. I have no problem replacing the shower as it is old but it worked fine until the boiler was changed so rather than being broken it is more likely just not suited to a combi, is that right. So I just need a thermostatic mixer shower to replace it with yes. Would you recommend a particular make and or model. Thanks again, Mike.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your swift answer. I have no problem replacing the shower as it is old but it worked fine until the boiler was changed so rather than being broken it is more likely just not suited to a combi, is that right.

Unless you've had a freak coincidence, yes. I am assuming (always a bad idea, I know) that the old cold tank has been got rid of too.

So I just need a thermostatic mixer shower to replace it with yes. Would you recommend a particular make and or model. Thanks again, Mike.

I have no particular recommendation as I don't buy shower valves very often. One of the well known brands will likely be more reliable and have better spares availability, or you could try a cheapie and see how long it lasts. Mine cost me £20 and it's been going over 10 years now, and I have forgotten who made it :oops:

Your combi will count as a high-pressure supply if you are shopping for showers.

If it's a Mira 88 then definitely not suitable for a combi.

Triton therostatic mixers are good, mid price choice. Or, Mira Combiforce - well built, last years and spares readily available - but mixer more expensive. Grohe Thermo. mixers are good and high quality.

Buy branded for spares backup - avoid cheap Aldi specials.

Triton therostatic mixers are good, mid price choice. Or, Mira Combiforce - well built, last years and spares readily available - but mixer more expensive. Grohe Thermo. mixers are good and high quality.

You had to mention Aldi at the end. Guess where's going to go. :mrgreen:

I was presented with an Aldi tap the other week, along with the question "can you fit this for me"?

Answer, 'yes I can fit it, but it won't work on your system'.

I was presented with an Aldi tap the other week, along with the question "can you fit this for me"?

Answer, 'yes I can fit it, but it won't work on your system'.

Have fitted several for people who have bought the taps themselves. For £30 they seem OK, better than some of the budhet stuff out there. All seem to be still working. More than likely though, couple more years down the line and it will be difficult to get spares.

You had to mention Aldi at the end. Guess where's going to go. :mrgreen:

I shouldn't have said anything. Aldi have a shower mixer with latge fixed head on at 80 quid at the mo.

Thanks for your replies, I think I will probably buy another Mira and I won`t be going to Aldi. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back