hot taps permanently sputtering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a sealed central heating system but an open hot water system (hot tank in an airing cupboard, cold water storage tank in the loft). Gas boiler.

I replaced my bath taps for a mixer tap with shower attachment. I used the existing pipework. Now my bathroom hot taps flow but are sputtering. I thought if I let them sputter long enough all the air would escape but after 2 bathfulls of water they are still sputtering.
The boiler comes on to heat the water but switches off after 6 or 7 minutes without fully heating the water.

Do I have an airlock in the hot tank itself? How do I know if the hot tank is filling to the top? (when running the hot taps I can hear the loft tank filling up so I guess its feeding the hot tank ok).

thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
You can all relax. Sorted.

The new mixer taps had a faster flow rate than the previous, separate hot & cold bath taps. This would normally be OK but the 'T-off' to feed the hot taps and the vent pipe (the bit of pipe that bends over into the top of the cold loft tank) was too close to the cold loft tank. The new taps were 'pulling' the water fast enough that they were then sucking air from the vent pipe.

I need to t off a new vent pipe lower down on the pipe that come out of the top of the hot tank. (and close off the old vent pipe!)

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back