Hot/warm deck alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I kind of already know the answer to this but i'm after a sanity check if someone wouldn't mind assisting?

I'm looking to build a garden gym, so insulation (particularly in the summer) is key to a useable space. I've been using my DIY garden office for 10 years which has a warm deck and is amazing. Unfortunately there's limited head clearance which is fine for an office but impractical for a gym.

Due to permitted development constraints I'm unable to go above 2.5m tall, usually this would be fine but the hot/warm deck is where problems occur... I've looked online but I can't find a suitable alternative that will deal with:

1. Vapour/condensation
2. Insulation requirements
3. Give the extra height clearance

Am I missing an obvious alternative, or I overthinking this?

Sponsored Links
No you're not missing anything, you can dig down but that's easier said than done, consider getting planning permission, no idea how viable that is from what you've posted though.

Sponsored Links
No you're not missing anything, you can dig down but that's easier said than done, consider getting planning permission, no idea how viable that is from what you've posted though.
I think i've decided to dig down a little, maybe only 60-80mm, and i'll change the roof and move the insulation inside, making sure to leave a small gap to allow airflow. It's a small compromise that I don't believe will have a huge impact on usability but it will give me the extra head clearance I required without having to go through the lengthy, and perhaps costly route of planning permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back