Garden Gym height options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ten years on from building my garden office and two years on from building my workshop I would like to add the final price to the puzzle... a garden gym. I'm very lucky to have a large garden that enables me to build these buildings away from the house, with minimal impact on the neighbours, and as my children are into dancing, and the eldest now into Yoga and Pilates I need something that can cater for us all.

I have a suitable place between my workshop and greenhouse that is around 7x4m so would be perfect for a 5x3m (15m2) gym (see pic below).

To fit in with my existing outbuildings (see pics) I was planning on using the same materials and style (flat roof) however this wont give enough overhead clearance for certain exercises and dance routines. My initial thought was to excavate 50cm, install a retaining wall and French drains to a soak-away but reading another thread this is seen as problematic.

As I want to build next to the boundary i'm limited by the eves height (2.5m) so what are my options on achieving the clearance I need?

1. Sink it by 50cm (I've read there could be lots of damp, flooding and water issues)
2. Slope the roof from 2.5-3.5m (back to front) but this wont match the other roofs and might look strange
3. Do a normal pitched roof giving more clearance but wont match the other buildings

Someone suggested roof lights but they will only give the clearance in a couple of isolated areas

Am I missing another obvious solution? Part of the issue is doing a hot-deck roof, as it takes up so much space, but as this needs to be usable all year, and not an oven in the summer I don't think there is another option?

Pic 1 = Space for new Gym
Pic 2 = New workshop (2 years old)
Pic 3 = Office (10 years old)

IMG_4136_V2.jpg

IMG_4134.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG

Sponsored Links
ok, looking into this further, as i'm planing on building this within 2m of the boundary, my real only option is doing it like the following, excavating 50cm. As the rest of the area is gravel, on top of non-compacted soil, there is never a drainage or flooding issues and it's around 50m from the nearest property/hard standing.

Do people see this being a possible issue with damp and water ingress? I felt a 50cm gravel border with a French drain below, going to a soak-
Artboard 1.jpg
away would suffice... and sinking it 50cm below ground would give me the necessary height required

Hi bolst3r, I was looking at doing something similar as I had the same requirement for greater height. The advice I got from here and was go for planning permission. Compared to the expense and hassle of sinking it in a correct manner so as to not suffer from damp, a couple of hundred quid on PP is a lot easier.

I got PP for a 3 metre high building 1m from the boundary without any issues.and had a warm roof.

Hi @Larry1990 that's some sound advice thanks, but unfortunately due to space my only option is to build on the boundary. I don't think I will get planning permission for 3m in height being this close? If I was it would defo be an option. I don't want possible issues with damp ingress. I guess I hoped with a drainage perimeter it would be pretty straightforward to overcome...

Sponsored Links
Hi Bolst3r,

I've heard there are some caveats with using non-flammable materials next to the boundary, be it cement board, metal or fireproof paint.

If your local planning department are helpful maybe an informal conversation to sound then out?

I'm not that knowledgeable about the drainage but there is an oakwood garden rooms self build group on Facebook that has a lot of people on there. There are some folks who have done things in the less common way of building one so maybe somebody has done the same as you there? Worth a post if you have not already stepped across the group.

Good luck!

My workshop is right on the boundary and I got planning without issue. Its 3.2m tall. You could slope it so the wall near the boundary is lower if you are worried.

Personally I can't see what's so difficult about a tanked structure. It's not much different to a fish pond (a continuous waterproof membrane) but sandwiched within the structure. Incorporate an internal step to avoid threshold issues.

My workshop is right on the boundary and I got planning without issue. Its 3.2m tall. You could slope it so the wall near the boundary is lower if you are worried.
interesting. Did you have to then construct it out of non-combustible material? If so, what did you use? I was going to build this out of timber as per my other buildings so it's in-keeping. The cladding also weathers down so isn't oppressive for neighbours.

I'm currently getting a front extension done and spoke to my architect about my idea. He suggested the simplest way was to do a moat as I've been thinking, he said a sleeper retaining wall and a 40cm drop wouldn't be an issue...

@cdbe I've seen in other threads where this is suggested. I'm not sure I can get my head around this sort of construction with a timber frame. I guess i'm drawn to the simplicity of the moat as it's easy to monitor...

interesting. Did you have to then construct it out of non-combustible material? If so, what did you use? I was going to build this out of timber as per my other buildings so it's in-keeping. The cladding also weathers down so isn't oppressive for neighbours.

I'm currently getting a front extension done and spoke to my architect about my idea. He suggested the simplest way was to do a moat as I've been thinking, he said a sleeper retaining wall and a 40cm drop wouldn't be an issue...
If its less than 15m2 the non combustible rule doesn't apply, that said, mine is bigger and is block built with a metal roof. The neighbour has a lot of tall planting so it looks fine from their side.

We are on poor draining clay soil so in heavy rain a moat would literally be a moat. That would put me off, but it might work for you.

@nickjb that's very interesting. The main reason I was leaning towards the moat was the fact I have to build this out of timber and wood cladding to match the existing items. I have no desire, or space to go over the 15m2 size for the internal floor, so if this makes the combustible element moot then I would prefer to seek planning permission. It's only the inclusion of a hot deck that really makes this whole thing necessary as I loose too much internal space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back