Hot water and heating at the same time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys. Regardless of whether I ask for heating or hot water, both come on together.
I suspect the 3 way diverter valve is sticking. I can move it with pliers but not my hand. If I take the motor drive off I appear to be getting all 3 positions.
See pictures in order of 1 Heating, 2 heating and hot water, 3 Hot Water so the motor controller is OK then and I need the 3 way valve???? Will any 3 way diverter fit?

If the above is ok I will be back later with questions about draining down. I am ok with the radiators but don't want to empty the hot tank if possible..

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• P1010544.JPG
    P1010544.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 52
  • P1010545.JPG
    P1010545.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010547.JPG
    P1010547.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 55
  • P1010548.JPG
    P1010548.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
What part can’t you move by hand - spindle on valve plate or the lever on the actuator (head)? That model is a British Gas model, made by Drayton, so a Drayton head should fit.

Hi Chris. It is the spindle in the actual valve. Will move with pliers but not convinced I am getting full range of movement.

Attachments

• P1010542.JPG
    P1010542.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Chris, you mentioned the lever on the actuator head. Do you mean the one pictured on the side of the actuator as that will not move with the actuator in my hand and although the various positions seem to be ok as in my first post when heating or hot water are on.
Also the actuator is very warm despite lying on the bedroom floor for about 2 hours.

Attachments

• P1010550.JPG
    P1010550.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 49
Yes that’s the leve I mean, so this doesn’t move freely, then the gearing could be knackered, especially if it’s still warm. You could go for the body, but if the heads goosed as well, then go for the complete valve? If doing this then I’d suggest a Honeywell or a Myson, as these tend to be better valves.

It’s 22mm (there’s a 22mm stamped on your pipes).

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. Got it working for now and will carry out a proper repair when I have more time. Measured the pipe with a vernier and got 22mm. Didn't see it was stamped lol.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back