Hot Water Booster Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a single floor flat with a standard immersion heater hot water tank. As there is insufficient head between the water tank and the taps/shower the original plumber installed a single impeller hot water pump in order to drive them. The cold water is mains fed throughout. I replaced this pump a few years ago when the bearing wore out but I am now experiencing a different problem and was wondering whether anyone can point me in the right direction for trouble shooting.

Normally when I turn on a hot water tap there is a slight delay and then the pump kicks in, what I am getting now is just a trickle and I can hear the pump humming slightly but it does not kick in. If I wait a while (anything from a minute up to an hour or more) and then try again it will work as normal. To my mind this seems to indicate a problem with the electronics controlling the motor but I am not experienced enough to be sure of this.

I would like to avoid having to replace the entire pump as this will cost my landlord about £200 and when I can save him money it keeps my rent down and keeps him happy.

I am a competent home electrician and a competent home plumber having done my own basic repairs for nearly forty years.

There is no gas supply to the flat block so I do not have to worry about any issues relating to gas.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

Eddie

Sponsored Links
It's either electrical or something in the impeller jamming the pump. If it's electrical there might be a capacitor that's failing or it could be a dicky flow switch

If there's something stuck in it, it'll need stripping down and cleaning out.

Hi yes, if a pump makes a low humming/buzzing noise but fails to start it us usually either dead spot on the motor (end of life) something jamming it debris (but then why would it work later) or the start capacitor (most likely cause) they normally look a bit like a fluorescent light starter but bigger, with up to 4 terminals on them. If you can locates it/get to it check for bulging, cracking around terminal or dis-colourisation (brown streaks down side) what pump do you have?

Hi, many thanks for the replies.

I was thinking in terms of the capacitor but I can't remember my motor control stuff from Uni as it was so long ago and I didn't want to look too much of a numpty.

It is fairly easy to get to and has push fit connectors so I may try opening up the impeller housing tonight just in case, but I agree with both of you that it would be odd that it works later if something is jamming it.

StuartTurner - I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be one of your older single ended pumps as it looks a lot like the pre-April 2014 Techflow Turbo 20 single on your web site and the name rings a bell. I will check the exact make & model this evening. If it is one of your pumps, is it possible to purchase a new capacitor?

Regards, Eddie

Sponsored Links
Hi StuartTurnerLtd, turns out that it is one of your older model pumps - a Monsoon 2.0 bar single.

I've checked the impeller housing and there does not seem tyo be any obstruction. Did not get a chance to check the capacitor but I am fairly sure it is the culprit.

Is it possible to get a replacement capacitor for this pump from yourselves? Or do I need to get the details and try somewhere like RS Components?

Thanks, Eddie

Hi, yes we can supply capacitors as spares but will require serial number to ID it. RS may be able to offer at a lower cost price to you but lets ID pump and have a gander at it for signs of failure. (if it shows signs its caputt if no signs don't rule it out)

Thanks, I'll try and get a closer look at it this evening if possible and get any details I can off the capacitor and the serial number from the pump.

Regards, Eddie

Hi, serial number is 1667159/5104/W37895

Can you advise how I go about ordering a new capacitor for this pump? Do I need to go via your web site?

Many thanks, Eddie

Hi, as this is a older unit the web site can't handle the serial number. Call 01491 572655 and ask for sales. Order our part number 17670.

7uf capacitor

Does old capacitor show signs of failure? have you managed to check it?

Hi, I've ordered the capacitor - I have not had a chance to inspect the existing one as I have to drain the hot water tank and disconnect the pump in order to get to a couple of the screws.

I'll take the risk so that I can hopefully get the new one by Friday and fit it over the weekend. If it is not that then I am guessing it will be a new pump anyway and that'll cost me at least £100.

If I do end up having to replace would a Showermate 2 Bar Single Pump Model: 46503 do the same job, or would I need something more like the newer model Monsoon 2 bar?

Many thanks, your help has been much appreciated.

Eddie

My advice would be go for a Monsoon again. If you decide to go for the showermate range that would be a massive down grade. obviously cheaper to purchase but they are plastic, definately not a viable option to repair, noisier etc..

Nice to hear someone connected with the makers being honest about the cheaper stuff they have to sell to meet the competition.

I do have to say I am very impressed by the quality of the older brass S-T pumps.

Only negative I have is that their refurb kit is so expensive ( about £100 ! ). Obviously to encourage the purchase of a new one but there are many retired people with the experience to renovate them back to a new performance.

Tony

Thanks. Horses for courses I do believe. Plastic pumps Showermate / Showermate Eco do a job to a budget. I guess I would rather drive a BMW over my 14 year old polo but saying that I still like to drive my 68 MK2 Cortina. Prices of spares I can't disagree with it seems like we are all heading for a throw away world. Anyway who wants to thank me first?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back