Hot Water Cylinder: How To Remove Cold Water Inlet Fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Can anyone explain the best way to remove this fitting, please? (see photo) The fitting is the cold water inlet on an indirect hot water cylinder. The cylinder is about 5 years old and and is sold by Wickes. It's a 36x18" size.

I bought this cylinder secondhand and intend to use it to replace a 25 year-old corroded Hercal one of the same size. I want to take the fitting out because I want to make sure all is sound before I go ahead and try the installation, and, whilst the replacement tcylinder looks okay in all other ways, this particular joint had a fair amount of sealing paste on it (now scraped off).

The nut in question has eight sides, and the distance across opposing flats is 37/38mm. I can't easily get Stilsons in because the foam lagging holds them off. I guess I could cut the lagging off but imagine there's got to be a better way?
Cheers, Gerry.

Sponsored Links
you might have to hack away a bit of the lagging.

get a shifting spanner big enough,and use it at a slight angle.or a box key

you may need to heat it to get it off,be carefull not to bend the copper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back