Hot water cylinder leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a foam-insulated copper hot water cylinder that appears to be leaking slowly. To ease me into the impending state of financial shock - is there a wonder substance out there that can be fed into the cylinder to fix leaks? Or is it possibly corrosion (the foam's green but where the water is seeping the green's a deeper green) and am I looking at the full cylinder replacement?

Cheers in advance for any advice...no matter how bad it might be.

James Denning

Sponsored Links
There is nothing as far as I am aware you can put in the tank. Where is the leak? Is it at a joint? How old is the cylinder?

Hi

Haven't got a scooby how old the cylinder is - possibly 10-12 years+.
I can't actually see where the leak is - it manifests itself at the bottom of the cylinder and into the floorboards supporting it.

Cheers
JD

You need to find out the source of the leak.
If it is at a joint you should be able to repair but if it is the cylinder you need to replace it :(
Suggest you investigate thoroughly even taking off some of the foam if you have to.

Sponsored Links
What - not use a hammer and a large chisel to remove foam?

Of course - anyway have to ask her indoors permission to tinker first...

The leak is at the base through the metal - must be corrosion - an old sock is wedged in to soak it up and calling a central heating engineer tomorrow. Cheers BAHCO and oilman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back