replace hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I an a non-pro DIYer. I am tyring to replace the old hot water cylinder. I used the old connectors from the old cylinder and a new copper blue cylinder. However, after I cleaned old connectors and used the tapes, glues etc. to stop the water leak, the water is still slowly leaking. I wonder if I missed some rubber washers for the top and bottom connectors. The coil connectors seemed a bit better. Any advice is welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure what's leaking, pics? Generally should use new fittings though, it can be difficult to get old ones to re-seal

Sponsored Links
You can 'back-off' with loctite. Its great stuff - not had a leak with it yet.

Tempted fate now I guess :eek:

Mr. W.

Depends what type of fittings they are ? nut & olive or flanged type , but you dont want to be using locktite stuff lol ,

ajdgas

Thank you. It is common fitting for all common cylinders. There is no olive. I could not find new connectors but used the old ones from the old cylinder.

Depends what type of fittings they are ? nut & olive or flanged type , but you dont want to be using locktite stuff lol ,

ajdgas

PTFE and fernox LSX for the female threaded connections and the use soldered cylinder unions for the coil. Cost a damn sight less than female copper to irons too. If you do use the soldered ones then use a bit of plumb blue on the faces

Female connectors dont normally give much problem but you need several turns of PTFE, perhaps 8-10.

Its the parallel male connectors on older style heating coils which are more difficult for most people because they are parallel thread. Again usually OK if about 10 turns of PTFE is used.

Most current cylinders use compression couplings though.

Tony

Thank you. You are 100% right. It is compression coupling. There are rings which are old and difficult to be removed. So I cannot use new couplers. The coil couplers are ok by testing using cold water(heating is not on). The trouble is at the top and bottom female connectors. I have ordered the loctite 55. Do I need fiber washers to back up?

Thank you very much.

Female connectors dont normally give much problem but you need several turns of PTFE, perhaps 8-10.

Its the parallel male connectors on older style heating coils which are more difficult for most people because they are parallel thread. Again usually OK if about 10 turns of PTFE is used.

Most current cylinders use compression couplings though.

Tony

I dont see what your problem is.

All you need to do is cut the old pipe about 60mm from the fitting and use a 40p solder coupling to add 60mm of new pipe to enable you to use the new nut/olives.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back