What washer to use ?

1 Dec 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have a leak at the cistern inlet at the back of my toilet. Originally it was a Heath Robinson of different connectors from the water supply back to the plastic threaded inlet.

I've replaced all of that with an isolation valve that connects to the water pipe, a 6cm length of copper pipe then a tap connector. However much PTFE tape I use I get a leak where the metal tap connector connects to the threaded plastic cistern inlet pipe. I'm using the fibre washer that came with the tap connector - would I be better using a rubber washer instead ? Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Where exactly are you putting the ptfe, you'd probably be better of without it but make sure you use a new washer.
I was putting the PTFE around the thread of the plastic cistern inlet. Without it the water really gushes out. I used a new fibre washer - am I better with a rubber washer instead ?
A fibre washer is the correct one but its worth trying a rubber type if you can find one...maybe the plastic thread of the inlet valve has been damaged / overtightened by the tap connector?
John :)
Sponsored Links
If the alignment between the tap connector and the cistern inlet isn't 100% correct, you are on a loser.
Thanks to both of you. Looks like the thread is the issue, so next step is to replace that..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local