Bath tap connectors fibre washers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing the flexi's on my bath for copper (family member had theirs fail under bath) and have now redone pipework and ready to connect up to taps. With the fibre washers that fit to the tap connectors should I pre wet these and also how tight does the joint need to be done up. I used to have a fibre washer in the connection to our old cistern water inlet and that always started to leak after a while, so I wanted to make sure I sealed this joint properly.

Thanks
Victor

Sponsored Links
Nope, just nip them up. The point of the fibre washer is if there is a weep, they then swell up to seal the weep but if it doesn't seal and continues to weep then the washer will eventually fail so it needs caught and nipped up if there is a weep.

Rob I have got to do a 2cm offset bend on a pipe, do you have any tips?

Sponsored Links
Could you use 3/4 flat rubber washers that come with hep20 tap connectors. In place of fibre? May give a better seal?

Pulling a set isn't difficult, it just needs practice and get to know your benders, where the bend point is etc. No tips as such, everyone has a different way of pulling them, it just comes down to doing more and more.
If anything, it's marking a line on the 22mm guide benders where the first pull was to, so the 2nd pull is quickly the same and gets it nice and parallel.
Oh that and take the time to check a few times that the pipe is straight in the benders before the 2nd bend is pulled, nothing more annoying than a wobbly offset ;)

Thanks Rob, Got them done now, got a cheap pair of Clarke benders which are ok for diy, my son helped as well who's doing his level 2 plumbing at college.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back