making a tap connector seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please - I'm stuck half way through a job!

I'm replacing the float valve in my toilet cistern. It's a bottom entry one. Although the new valve is identical to the old, the rubber washer that seals between the cistern and plastic assembly was so collapsed on the old one that the threaded tail of the valve just touched the fibre washer in the tap connector (with the tap connector nut undone).

The new in-tact rubber washer means the new tail is about 1mm clear of the (new) fibre washer. I don't know how tap-connectors make a seal - will this still give a seal or do they need to be touching?

If not, would 2 x fibre washers do the trick to bridge the gap or is that a no-no?

I don't think I can tighten the plastic nut to compress the rubber washer any more, it's already making creaking noises.

Sponsored Links
Have you any play in the lower pipe? There should be enough to allow the pipe to pull up and meet the spigot on the plastic. Only use the original fibre washer and the new rubber.

Yes there is! I can manually pull the feed pipe up to meet the tail. That didn't occur to me, thanks :)

Unfortunately I've destroyed the old fibre washer trying to get it off. I thought it was good practice to replace them whenever you open a joint? Do you see a problem there?

I do have a new connector if need be, but opted not to install it since it'll mean cutting the pipe (it's 18mm longer since it has an isolator built in). I prefer to keep the job as straigh-forwards as possible. IME it gives me the greatest chance of success!

Sponsored Links
You can get spare washers from any good plumbers merchants or your local "shed"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back