hot water cylinder relocation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

ok i know there are a few threads relating to this subject but not quite the same setup as i will have so i need to ask a few people who can answer these questions for me

1. i am not sure i can get the clearance to fit the hwc into the loft with enough eaves space to get the cwt above it. my other option is i have a cupboard fitted above stairs which is generally a dumping ground and was wondering if it could be relocated into there with some additional strengthening.

it will be raised up around a metre from where it currently is but will still give at least 60-100cm between the top of the hwc and the cwt, my question is how heavy is a full tank? i cant seem to find any guides as to how much it would weigh and if i knew i could then work out if the repurposing of the cupboard was possible?

many thanks for all your info its greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
1 litre of water has a mass of 1kg. A standard 900x450 cylinder has a capacity of approx 117litres. So 117kg plus the mass of the cylinder. No more than about 12kg if I remember correctly.

Height between the HWC and Cold storage cistern is pretty irrelevant, its the height of the cold cistern that determines the head of water at the taps, shower etc. Just make sure the supporting shelf is strong enough to take the weight, otherwise you'll have a wrecked cylinder and a wet house.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all replies, for some reason im not getting notifications on when you post. ok so if i add the strengthening into this cupboard then all should still be good with the head of water at the taps, thats good as im not touching the cwt. plumbing wise it should be fairly straight forward as the said cupboard is up about 50cm and directly on the other side of the wall of where it is currently i will just need a sparky to do the hook up for the immersion side and im gtg

if i am wrong with anything i have said please dont hesitate to say life is one big learning curve as they say

cheers all again for your help it is greatly appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back