Hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,
Spent a fortune on the hot water/central heating system over the last year and finally thought everything was hunky dory. Now I've spotted a dribble from my hot water tank where the heating coil enters or leaves (not sure which - it's the top one).

Might just need a bit of goo around the join, but being a pessimist and based on the bad luck I've had so far I'm assuming that I'll probably have to replace the whole tank.

Can anyone give me a ball-park figure I could expect to replace one of these tanks?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You probably looking at £400-450 to replace a cylinder. :D

I would have a go at fixing it. Drain the cylinder and unscrew the nut and place jointing compound or a few turns of ptfe around the olive and then replace the nut.

Worth a go. :D

As suggested, drain cylinder and undo nut. Use some LSX AND PTFE around the male thread.

Thanks chaps. I'll have a bash at it tomorrow night.
The tank is 20 years old and no doubt full of crud. It's not likely to split as I undo the nut is it?
As a matter of interest, if the worst comes to the worst, are cylinders these days made to a standard in terms of positions of fittings etc? In other words if I do need to replace it is it likely that a new tank will fit straight in without reworking all the pipework etc.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It's not likely to split as I undo the nut is it?

Wouldn;t think so but be gentle :D

Is it likely that a new tank will fit straight in without reworking all the pipework etc.

Not a chance in hell! No such thing as a straight swop in plumbing! :LOL:

Cheers Bahco,
Good to see your signature - 48 weeks without smoking. Well done.
If it helps, I stopped 22+ years ago and even now if someone lights one up near me I think how nice it smells.....
They do say you are always an ex-smoker, never a non-smoker.
Good luck with it.

Thanks mate and you are right about the smell of fresh fags! :(

Good luck with your leak and post back with results or if you need help. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back