hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hot water had stopped working so i decided to investigate. I have a hot water cylinder and an immersion heater. I tried the obvious things first.... connections, thermastat. all seemed fine. So thought I'd go and get a new element for about £20 as that was the only thing left that could be the problem. So got myself and box spanner and a new element. Wasnt going to get a plumber in (money is short and shouldnt be too difficult)

I then turned off my water supply, put on all hot taps to drain system of execess water. Then proceeded to remove old element with box spanner. had a towel and tray ready for any excess water.

Oh but then it gets good. By now element was only hand tight and could unscrew with hands. Proceeded to do this and expected a little bit of water mabye. But not quite as much actually came out. the water came rushing out of the 3 or 4 inch diameter hole were the element was. I was in a mad rush of panic :eek: took me about 5 minutes get the damn thing back in because of the pressure of the water coming out. By this time I could hear niagra falls downstairs. :( After getting the element back in I finally realised that I emptied the system but not the excess in the tank. must have been at least 50 litres still in there if not more. I felt such and idiot.

I went down to inspect the damage. Luckily downstairs WC still have water damage ceiling from leaking bath waste trap from a while ago (no extra damage there). Hallway celings light fitting was already off so most water had found a quick escape point (hallway i had tiled so water could be mopped up). Also found water in living room through light fitting. Managed to miss all electrical stuff like tv, consoles etc (just!!) living room ceiling paper is now easier to remove :LOL: good just it needs replacing anyway. Hallway lighting tripped (as expected). Eventually removed tank and emptied manually. Replaced element and now working. Element was so knackered its not surprising it it didnt work. (I wonder if it was ever changed before!!!!)

So I got the job done for about £20. Which would of cost a lot more if I got a plumber in.

We all learn from our mistakes. Good job that the house needed gutting and all rooms decroating anyway. Got away lightly really, ok there was a damp smell for a few days until things dried out. Luckily the living room or hall celing didnt collapse and that water could find an escape point.

I like to experient and do things myself. I'm sure I will learn the hard way for most things. I'll just be more carefult next time.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Quite a good one for a sit com, or even one of soaps. No not for a soap it could make it like real life. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back