Hot Water Does Not Heat Up Unless Central Heating Is On

I would never suggest replacing the whole pump assembly and particularly when there is no direct evidence that there is any fault in it.

Its easy to see if both pump heads are turning. See FAQ.

Its still possible to buy that type of pump head and replace just that.

If so then it needs removing so the non return valves may be checked and the pump impellers checked for blockages. Its easier to first remove each pump head first.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would never suggest replacing the whole pump assembly and particularly when there is no direct evidence that there is any fault in it.

Its easy to see if both pump heads are turning. See FAQ.

Its still possible to buy that type of pump head and replace just that.

If so then it needs removing so the non return valves may be checked.

Tony

Thanks for the info.

As an update, today I checked the pumps head as per the instruction manual. The central heating one was spinning no problem but the water pump was jammed. I had to really turn it quite hard with a screwdriver and eventually got it moving. When I turned the power on to check them the water head didn't turn as quick as the CH pump but the water wasn't flowing through yet so I am thinking that whatever was blocking the pump hadn't been 'pushed' through yet. After turning the water back on the water took a while to get through and it did cause the boiler to overheat again but after turning that off and on again I'm pleased to say that water is flowing through fine now. It has been on for 30 minutes now and still going. What is weird though is that the radiators are NOT coming on when the water is on now yet after the plumper flushed the system the radiators were coming on at full power even when just the water was on. I can't really explain that.

I can only think that there was a blockage in the pipe and, presumably, the blockage is still passing through the system so I guess it is likely that I could have the same issue again. If it does happen again should I try to dissemble the pump to clear the blockage? That is if the pump head isn't turning again like this time.

Thanks, Craig.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back