Hot water dribble :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved to a new house and it has an old heating system with one large cold water tank in loft and immersion/hot water tank in the bathroom(copper unlagged type) . Decided to fill up paddling pool for the children using outside tap, seems it was a bad idea as the tap was fed from the cold water storage tank and it sort of ran out to a dribble. Now when I turn on the hot water tap on it just dribbles out. I presume there must be some sort of air lock ? lots of spluttering but never seems to clear..any ideas on how to remedy the situation or what sort of heating system this is ?

Sponsored Links
You're airlocked.

Quickest way to clear it may be to put mains-pressure water into the plumbing in the 'wrong' direction and push air back up to storage tank (I assume that it's now full again).

If cold water tap on BATH works AND there's a hand-held shower on a 'bath mixer', unscrew shower handset, put rubber washer somewhere safe, put thumb over open end of pipe and with shower switched on turn on Hot AND Cold taps. With luck, cold will run back into hot pipe and push out the air.

Otherwise, connect some sort of pipe (garden hose or somesuch) temporarily between cold tap and hot tap in kitchen sink. Open Hot then GENTLY turn on Cold. Mains pressure should push air out via open vent and cold

If you have hot and cold washing machine taps in the kitchen try it there. the ends of the hoses fit both taps. Screw on and open for say 10 seconds then try the garden tep.
Then put the garden tap on the mains!

Just looked in the loft and tank is full so will try as suggested, will keep you updated. thankyou for replies

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back