HOT water dripping into make-up tank on central heating !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently discovered hot water dripping into the make-up tank in the loft, from what I assume is an exapansion pipe in the CH system.

Can anyone please suggest what may be causing this and possible solutions ?.

It's my sons house and he has two very young children, so with winter fast approaching I would hate him to be caught out with no CH or hot water.

Your help will be much appreciated

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Pump speed could be to high, You may have a blockage, are you having to bleed radiators alot?

Thank you for your very prompt reply.

As the heating has only just been switched on I am not sure of the situation. Last year my son had a bit of a problem with bleeding and balancing the radiators to get the best out of the heating in general. He isolated and removed a couple of radiators to decorate and quite a bit of heavily soiled water came out, although not quite what you could call 'sludge'.

He has lived in the house for 6 years and has never had the system flushed, and has no idea if the previous owner ever took the time or trouble to have it done.

Do you think this would help and if so is it a possible DIY job ?. For example, where to begin and end - furthest radiator from the boiler, isolate all boilers and flush them one by one through the system etc etc ?

Once again, thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
Just a quick follow up to my question about hot water dripping into the CH make up tank, in case anyone else has ideas ?

many thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back