Hot water flowing from vent pipe into loft tank

Hi yes the 2 vertical pipes in pic 1 are labelled heat and hot water, both have motorised valves on them. The vent and feed can be seen in pic 2 right of pump and look like they go down and into back of boiler, just out of shot, which I'm standing right in front of.

Sponsored Links
Hi yes the 2 vertical pipes in pic 1 are labelled heat and hot water, both have motorised valves on them. The vent and feed can be seen in pic 2 right of pump and look like they go down and into back of boiler, just out of shot, which I'm standing right in front of.

What direction is the arrow on the pump? is it pointing left towards the 2 vertical pipes or right towards the feed and vent?

Not sure i agree about that.

Seen it many times, one of the tests for a pump is if you can hold the pump back, its a well known condition of old pumps where they can lose torque over time. It's usually a capacitor problem but can also be an indication of overheated windings. Of course a blocked/restricted pump will also cause circulation issues.

Sponsored Links
In reference to blue loos comment re pump. It did sound terrible and could wake us up when the heating came on in the morning,noise seemed to reverberate through the pipework. Cannot hear the new pump at all. Perhaps the old pump did just needs clean, but I went with the plumbers recommendation to replace.

Hi pump arrow pointing towards vent and feed.

ABV was set at max, when I spoke phoned plumber about the overpump issue he told me to set it to min to see if that fixed the problem, should I set this to a midpoint position? Thanks

What direction is the arrow on the pump? is it pointing left towards the 2 vertical pipes or right towards the feed and vent?

Seen it many times, one of the tests for a pump is if you can hold the pump back, its a well known condition of old pumps where they can lose torque over time. It's usually a capacitor problem but can also be an indication of overheated windings. Of course a blocked/restricted pump will also cause circulation issues.

Seems reasonable.

I wonder how many good pumps are dumped when a cleaning of the impeller and casing is all thats needed?

Hi pump arrow pointing towards vent and feed.

ABV was set at max, when I spoke phoned plumber about the overpump issue he told me to set it to min to see if that fixed the problem, should I set this to a midpoint position? Thanks

Get a new plumber.
Either extreme is grossly wrong.

I have the same ABV. Flow should be in the direction of the adjuster (in your case down) so the flow from the pump should be right - left?

Could connecting the feed to the vent fix this problem, even if the pump is before the vent? Thanks

If you are handy minded, draw out the system you have. It will help you correct it and will help future engineers and plumbers to maintain it.

It frustrates me that wiring and plumbing diagrams are not part of a houses essential documents. They should be for new builds at least.

Have a look at FAQs on this site. I studied them vs what i had and ended up completely replumbing my system. The difference it made is incredible. It's now quiet and reliable.

Ok so set the ABV to mid point. Are you saying that pump should be flipped so pump flow is towards the ABV, and not towards vent? Thanks

Ok so set the ABV to mid point. Are you saying that pump should be flipped so pump flow is towards the ABV, and not towards vent? Thanks

No.

There is a method to setting them properly. You can try setting 2 to start with. Read the instructions. Its a Danfoss ABV22.

But do draw out your system before you change anything. Post it here for the pros to look at ( @Madrab ). They will give you advice if anything needs switching about .

Ok thanks, I think drawing out the system will take a while, pipes seem to go everywhere...
Surprised about the plumber I used , top google reviews, 10/10 checkatrade and an accredited Worcester Bosch installer...

If pump is pointing towards vent/cold feed its wrong way round should pump away from them towards motorised valves.
I have no doubt that's a far more powerful pump than you had before will certainly not need to be on max.

The pump should pump from right to left. The larger pipe on the right should be the pipe connecting to the boiler. The upper end of that is the vent pipe. To the vent pipe's left is the feed pipe. I would say your pipework is fine and proper but the flow is in the wrong direction.

Sorry guys I've been a ****, could have sworn the arrow on pump was pointing towards vent, just gone in there again with torch and glasses and arrow is towards ABV ie flowing away from vent. Sorry about that, feel stupid!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back