Hot water flowing into expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I only have my hot water on in an open vented system. When the hot water comes on hot water flows continuously into the expansion tank via the bent pipe that overhangs it. I had a plumber in and he turned down the setting on the pump. That seemed to cure the problem, but now it has come back. Also when the hot water comes on there is a rattling in some of the radiators. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Is it ONLY when the boiler/pump is running that the problem occurs?

Sounds like a partialy blocked pipe. System will work ok but will pump over. Most likely the pipe near the cold feed is blocked.

The problem is presumably with the CH header tank, not the larger tank feeding the hot water cylinder. You may have a blockage in the pipework causing the low to come out of the vent pipe. Also likely that the system is corroded and needing cleaning.

Sponsored Links
Any ideas how this can be investigated and how the pipe could be unblocked? Would this be fairly routine for a professional?

It's entirely dependent on access and how much of the pipe is blocked. Sometimes the blockage is magnetic so you can try to find its extent that way, but it'll start at a tee a plumber will go straight to.

"It started with a *iss.....who thought it would end like this"(smile you`re on camera) be careful who you let into your attic :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back