Hot water flowrate upstairs is zero?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me diagnose a problem that has just developed this morning. My upstairs bathroom hot water flow has reduced to virtually zero, while the cold water mains is also reduced but still workable downstairs.

I have a gravity fed system, where the cold water loft tank feeds both the downstairs hot water cylinder and the upstairs cold water taps in the bathroom(which again are working but at a reduced flowrate). The downstairs hot water taps are operating at a reduced flow rate but still working.

We have rung the water board who will come and check the incoming mains pressure on Thursday. What confuses me is that I thought that the incoming cold mains shouldn't effect hot water pressure from a system like mine i.e. All our hot water pressure is created by the loft tank height.
So, short of just running out of water I thought our hot water pressure should be unaffected by the incoming mains?

Is this right or is there some indirect way the hot water pressure might be effected by a reduced mains pressure i.e. cylinder tank not filling quickly enough?

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
.....hot water pressure should be unaffected by the incoming mains?

You are right. Look for a blockage, like a rodent in the cold water storage tank stuck partly in the outlet pipe. (Ugh!)

possible air lock, you need to disconect washer machine pipes (turn water off first) the connect hot to cold using one of the hoses, then open both wm taps up and run for thirty secs turn off then check tap upstairs, repeat if nesacery.

Thanks for both replies, much appreciated.

I've checked for a blockage at the water tank end and everything looks OK (as much as I can make out).

djbunny, Is the idea of connecting the washing machine hot and cold together, to push the air pocket out of the system using the mains pressure? I'll try that tonight.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.

Particularly djbunny, your solution worked a treat.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back