Hot Water from Cold Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an unusual system with 2 HW Cylinders - one upstairs, one down. House was originally 1 storey and upstairs was built later. There is a CW tank in loft.

The problem I have is that I found the HW cylinder upstairs had been isolated with gate valves closed for a while. I have lived in the house 2 years, but never knew whether they were open or closed. A plumber had been to my house recently to do some work and may have closed them then.

So I opened them, but when the boiler fired up, I discovered hot water coming out the cold taps. It seems that the hot water from the upstairs HW cylinder is returning back up the CW feed pipe to the CW storage tank in the loft and heating the water in it.

Both HW cylinders feed all the hot taps in the house, so they must be running in tandem.

Anybody got any idea what is happening?

Apologies for the long post but I wanted to try to explain as best as possible.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Gees said:
Why not just close the valves again?

I did that for the moment ..... but since both tanks get heated, the stored water in the upstairs HW tank is never being used, which is a shame.

I've got a plumber coming this afternoon.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back