Cold Water Feed for Shower Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can help? I am pretty certain that the cold water supply from the CW tank in the loft goes only to the bathroom, supplying the sink, toilet and bath. There is only one bathroom in the house. The only other cold water is in the kitchen and all of the appliances and taps in the kitchen are fed from the mains. I want to fit a shower pump and am wondering whether I can use the existing CW feed to the bath to provide the cold water supply for the pump, rather than having to run a new feed from the CW tank? I was thinking it may be OK since the CW feed supplies nothing other than the bathroom. I intend to provide a separate HW feed from the HW cylinder, but wondered if I can get away without having to run a new CW pipe from the loft. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
"officially" no, but in practice, probably will be ok - worth a try.
the risks are
1) starvation of the pump, if you run another cold tap
2) you could suck air in through another cold tap, or the wc. (you could prevent it with non return valves I suppose, never needed to)

I've seen 1) more often than 2), but only in a monster gaff.

Thanks Chris. Since the only other taps are in the same bathroom as where I will fit the new shower, I figured that it would be unlikely that another tap would be used or the loo flushed, whilst the shower was in use. I guess it would be feasible, but rare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back