Hot water From Potterton Gold combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The fitter has just installed a Potterton Gold HE combi. It has two Honeywell motorised valves (one for the central heating and one to heat the hot water cylinder) and both connected to the heating return. Both of these valves operate on the CH setting on the boiler. The hot water setting just feeds the HW to the kitchen sink. So in effect I have HW from a cylinder as well as HW from the boiler.

All are controlled by a Honeywell 10 way junction box, a Danfloss Tempus 7 programmer, room stat, cylinder stat.

All works fine except the hot water to the sink only activates when the programmer HW is switched on. This is the switch I just want to heat the HW cylinder upstairs as I want the HW to the sink to be on all the time when called for by turning on the tap.

What this means is that if I want to use the HW in the sink then I have to either turn on the HW from the programmer while the boiler control is set to CH/HW, which starts heating my cylinder or I turn on the HW on the programmer and set the boiler control to HW only which means I have to manually switch it back and rester the programmer when I want to heat the cylinder and use CH.

I'm sure it's a wiring fault but it's driving me mad!

Any help would would be great?

Sponsored Links
Get the guy back to sort out the problem.

For a start, the motorised valves should be on the heating flow and not the return. The system should then be wired up as an S-plan.

Is the installer registered cos there seem to be some fundamental errors here?

You have wired it wrong boiler needs a permenant live from fused spur.

LNE to boiler
LNE to clock Both from spur

HW out terminal of clock to cylinder stat through stat to BROWN wire of HW motorised valve

CH out terminal of clock through room stat to Brown wire of motorised valve.

ORANGE wires of motorised valves to terminal 2 of boiler terminal strip

Grey wires to terminal 1 of boiler terminal strip.

Obviously connecting neutrals and earths from valves

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back