Hot water from Vaillant LPG boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an odd one. We have an ancient (around 25 years old) Vaillant LPG combi boiler, controlled by a Drayton Digistat remote thermostat/timer thingy.

The boiler decided some time back that it would only provide hot water erratically. If the heating was programmed to come on, it did. But if the heating was not on, it would not always provide hot water when a tap was turned on. Eventually it dawned on me that this was time-related. I could get hot water for most of the day, but by late evening it refused to fire up and provide it.

Now the only thing that's time-related is the controller, which has time bands in which a heating temperature can be set. One of these bands currently starts at 9pm. However, the timer is meant to control the heating - not the availability of hot water.

So I experimented yesterday, by removing the batteries from the Digistat. And lo and behold, hot water late at night has resumed. I'll see if the same happens tonight.

How could this be? Is there some way that the controller is sending a signal to the boiler at the start of that time band, or the boiler misinterpreting a signal, such that it refuses to fire up for hot water when the tap is turned on?

Seems bizarre to me

Sponsored Links
Sounds like possible diverter failure to me.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back