hot water: full flow or no heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a slight problem with my hot water boiler, I have 2 boilers, one for central heating, one (a Brittony II) for the hot water.

The problem is this, to have hot water, the tap must be fully on otherwise the boiler will not fire up, if it is turned down, it will cut out.

This happens, regardless of what the temperature dial is set at (actually if its set anything below 1/2 it wont fire at all.

We moved in in april, and it has got progressivly worse, ie there used to be a bit of control over flow, but now near to none as make no odds!

The boiler is located in the bathroom upstairs, if this makes a differance.

My main concern is that one day it will just decide its not going to work at all, not good with a 2 1/2 y/o and another in 2 weeks!

Sponsored Links
would this involve dismantling any part of the gas pipwork?

I do have the manual in the loft somwhere, but if it involves the gas side, I would rather get someone to do it for me.

Shouldn't involve gas pipework, but heater may need setting up again afterwards. If your not sure better to get a professional in, not worth the risk.

James

Sponsored Links
I think this is the link you want for the diaphram.

I used to change these myself. Very easy to do.

Please note; going on memory only, 4 or more small bolts holding flow valve containing diaphram, undo and lower bottom section, making a note of which way up the diaphram is when you remove it. Put back in reverse order. A good service engineer would have renewed them (diaphram) every 2 years when doing the service, as they perish and stretch, giving you the symptons you are now experiencing.

www.hccfspares.co.uk/Appliance_Type3.aspx?Manufacture_ID=18&Appliance_Type=GAS+BOILERS

Click on Brittony 11

thanks.

Im happy with doing most things, but wont mess with dismantling gas, its just somthing im not happy with.

diaphram it is then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back