Hot water heating options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice really and recommendations. I have an electric only house but would like hot water. My current old square copper tank leaks. At some point I had a back boiler which heated this tank but that was disconnected some time ago, so was gas. We use the immersion and have a dedicated circuit with 16amp mcb.

I've looked at thermal stores, have looked for square tanks using immersion heater (can't find any), hot water heaters. My general hot water needs are washing up, water for shaving upstairs and the rare bath. I have an electric shower.

does anyone have any recommendations. If i were to swap the tank for another I am limited by a depth of about 40cm. Looking to spend around £500. Don't want to go into loft because presently it wouldn't support the weight, plus freezing considerations. I'm just a bit bamboozled by the options out there and need advice.

Can someone help :( ?

Sponsored Links
adwt2004 said:
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice really and recommendations. I have an electric only house but would like hot water. My current old square copper tank leaks. At some point I had a back boiler which heated this tank but that was disconnected some time ago, so was gas. We use the immersion and have a dedicated circuit with 16amp mcb.

I've looked at thermal stores, have looked for square tanks using immersion heater (can't find any), hot water heaters. My general hot water needs are washing up, water for shaving upstairs and the rare bath. I have an electric shower.

does anyone have any recommendations. If i were to swap the tank for another I am limited by a depth of about 40cm. Looking to spend around £500. Don't want to go into loft because presently it wouldn't support the weight, plus freezing considerations. I'm just a bit bamboozled by the options out there and need advice.

Can someone help :( ?

If you have gas then with such a small demand for hot water fit a multi-point water heater. No tanks or whatever, and cheap enough. It will also do the shower too - far better than the piddly electric job.

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Main_Multipoint_Balanced_Flue.html

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Main_Multipoint_Fan_Flue.html

Square tanks? Elson, but not cheap:

http://www.elsonhotwater.co.uk/elson/elson.nsf

Thanks for your good advice. Don't have gas going to my house. Would need transco in. Can't afford that along with a gas water heater, gas pipe fitted, the thing commisioned etc, its add's up to thousands, just for a hot tap or 2!.

Any other recommendations?

Sponsored Links
adwt2004 said:
Thanks for your good advice. Don't have gas going to my house. Would need transco in. Can't afford that along with a gas water heater, gas pipe fitted, the thing commisioned etc, its add's up to thousands, just for a hot tap or 2!.

Any other recommendations?

Ring Transco. They sometimes put them in for free if a gas pipe is available.

1000s? The multi-point is only about £320. Abd then some pipe back to the meter.

Other suggestions? The Elson tanks I gave the link.

If you only have £500 inc fitting, then a small electric storage heater, less than 2kW off the ring main, about 15 litres. Santon and the likes. For £500 you won't get much more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back