Central heating but immersion hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'd like to get someone's view on whether this type of job is a DIY job or not.

Just moved into a house and have discovered that whilst there's GCH, the hot water runs off an electric immersion heater - a tank in the airing cupboard upstairs. It's not a particularly old house, so I'm a bit stumped as to why the original owners didn't bother to plumb in the hot water to run off the gas boiler too.

Would plumbing things in to the boiler be a simple job, or should I really get someone qualified in to have a proper look?

Also, I seem to have two water tanks in the loft - one 50 gallon tank which obviously is the feed for the bathroom. But there's also a much smaller tank with a ballcock - is that the feed for the immersion heater perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It can be done but probably not a DIY job

The small tank will feed your ch

Does your hot water cylinder have 2 capped off connection on one side?

If not you would require a new cylinder

OK, thank you.

The hot water cylinder does not have any capped off connections. It has one connection into the top; two into the side at the bottom of the tank; and one into the side about half way up. But all four connections are connected.

I know you can't see the house etc., but would you think that plumbing in the hot water like this would be a very serious expense?

Can you post a picture of your cylinder and the connections?

What boiler have you got?
Are there any controls on the system

Sponsored Links
I have uploaded a picture of the cylinder and I've tried taking it at an angle that shows the two connections on either side at the bottom; the middle connection and then the connection going in at the top.

I have a Potterton Flamington II boiler.

In terms of controls on the system, do you mean like a control panel? I've uploaded a picture if that's what you mean?

Looks like it is already plumbed in for hot water

Have u tried turning the hot water on the time clock ?

Tho looking closer at the pic looks like the valve has not been wired

Hi - yes, I've tried using the panel to turn the hot water on, but it has no effect - the bolier doesn't spring to life as it does when you turn on the heating on. The original owners told me they hadn't had the hot water plumbed into the boiler.

Good news that it sounds as if the pipework may be in place, hopefully that'll save me a few quid.

thanks again.

Does look as if the 3port valve isn't connected. I cant see any evidence of a cylinder stat either, but then for the rads to work the 3 port valve would need to be in manual position which would allow flow from boiler to rads and cylinder. Need more info methinks. :confused:

Have you got a room thermostat controlling radiators and is the 3 way valve wired up?

You are right that the 3port valve is there, but it's not wired up. There is also no thermostat on the cylinder.

I have taken another pic to show a bit more detail next to the boiler.

There are a couple of wall-mounted thermostats around the house, which must be for the rads.

Thanks,

Yea the plumbing is there but not all the wiring

I would suggest a new programmer a cylinder stat and some wiring.
The only unknown is if the 3 port valve actually works
I would suggest getting a heating engineer in

Wiring up a Y plan isn't the easiest of tasks, if you're not confident with electrics i'd echo the last post and get someone in to check over what is actually there (and works!), then fit whatever else is required to get the system working properly.

I suspect looking at second pic, the motorised valve is wedged open and the gate valve fitted between MV and cylinder is closed. Quite why this was done is beyond me but long term, heating the hot water by gas will work out cheaper than using the immersion. (Always a good idea to keep the immersion for backup though in event of boiler/pump failure.)

Thank you - I'll get someone in rather than attempting it myself then. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back