Draining hot water pipes

No. Once all pipework is done ,and local isolation valves fitted ( I.e one on each ,hot and cold to every tap etc) you then turn mains water on and fill everything up. You then have to run water through each isolator ,via a hose or any temporary connection ,to a drain ( or a large bucket if need be) to flush out the pipework of any sediment ,solder / flux or any other contaminents that may have got into the pipework as a consequence of you working on it.
Once flushed out ,you then can connect taps/ showers /toilets etc .

Sponsored Links
No. Once all pipework is done ,and local isolation valves fitted ( I.e one on each ,hot and cold to every tap etc) you then turn mains water on and fill everything up. You then have to run water through each isolator ,via a hose or any temporary connection ,to a drain ( or a large bucket if need be) to flush out the pipework of any sediment ,solder / flux or any other contaminents that may have got into the pipework as a consequence of you working on it.
Once flushed out ,you then can connect taps/ showers /toilets etc .

thats brilliant thanks for clearing it up.

Just another general question, more out of curiosity.

My understanding is that on my system, the cold water enters the cylinder (from the F and E tank in loft) at the bottom, and the cylinder heats the hot water, to where it leaves via the top of the cylinder to the hot taps.

Because i need to drain the whole system to replace the faulty gate valve, i'll be turning off the mains stop tap and opening up both the hot and cold taps in the house. Am i correct in saying that the cold water in the F and E tank will be drawn down the pipe into the bottom of the cylinder. Because this water will be cold, and the boiler won't be on, which means this water won't be heated by the cylinder, how is it drawn out of the top of the cylinder to the taps? (i.e. to drain the system). Will this water just flow out of the cold taps because its not heated?

How long should i expect it to take to drain the pipework and the F and E tank, via the taps?

Thanks

F&E tank is a small tank that feeds the central heating boiler/ rads ,just to be clear.
The CWSC ,is the large tank of cold water that feeds the hot water cylinder ( and possibly other cold outlets that are not fed directly from the mains , thermostatic shower for instance).
Once the CWSC is empty ,no more water ( hot or not) can come out of the top of the hot water cylinder ,however it will still be full of water.

F&E tank is a small tank that feeds the central heating boiler/ rads ,just to be clear.
The CWSC ,is the large tank of cold water that feeds the hot water cylinder ( and possibly other cold outlets that are not fed directly from the mains , thermostatic shower for instance).
Once the CWSC is empty ,no more water ( hot or not) can come out of the top of the hot water cylinder ,however it will still be full of water.

I'm assuming just leave the F and E storage container as is without touching it?

Ah right thank you for that! So in my case it's the large tank of water that I need to drain (CWSC) in order to replace the gate valve and redo pipework in house.

So I'm right in saying there should be 2 storage containers in loft (one f and e and a larger tank - CWSC)

Thanks v. Much for your help

Sponsored Links
If the boiler / central heating system is sealed and pressurised ,there will not be an F&E tank. If its gravity fed there will be .

As it's a DIY forum i'm very keen to do it myself. I'm learning in the process and feel confident i can do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back