Hot water in cold water storage tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My cold water storage tank feeds the hot water cylinder and also a shower with a pump. On several occassions the shower has been too hot to use. My initial reaction was that the shower was faulty but decided to do a bit of diy investigating and discovered that the cold water storage tank contained very warm water. It appears that heat is tracking back up the feed pipe from the hot water cylinder as this pipe is hot.
Is this possible? If so what can be done?

Sponsored Links
I should find out why the water is so hot to start with, faulty immersion heater stat or boiler stat faulty or to high :?: check the vent pipe over the tank hasn't drooped and got immersed in the water as this causes gravity circulation and puts hot water into the feed tank.

Sponsored Links
There is no imersion heater. The hot water cylinder is controled via a cylinder stat set to 60 degrees and appears to be working fine. The hot water flow from the top of the cylinder goes horizontal for a couple of feet before going vertcally down. The vent pipe is connected to the horizontal part of the pipe and goes vertically up to the header tank.

This can be really dangerous, the tank can soften and colapse the hot water which comes throegh the ceiling has killed people! Honest!.

Get a pro in to sort it asap. Don't use the hot water in the mean time and check it stops getting hot.

Don't sleep under the hot water storage cistern in case it colapses.

My guess is that it is the vent. I drained down the cold water storage tank and turned off the mains feed to it to see if it would backfill from the cylinder. It didn't, so I don't think the coil is damaged in the cylinder. The vent pipe is warm only for an inch or two from the connection with hot water supply. Would you normally expect the vent pipe to be warm all the way to the cold water tank?

Has the vent pipe been installed properly?
To prevent parasitic circulation the vent should start horizontally a certain distance (I believe it is 450mm ) from the top of the cylinder.
Could be the origin of your problem :)

Eh, what, cough cough, er, it's my neice you understand, told her not to sit on my knee, cough cough splutter, what day is it :eek:

stevie-c said:
My cold water storage tank feeds the hot water cylinder and also a shower with a pump. On several occassions the shower has been too hot to use. My initial reaction was that the shower was faulty but decided to do a bit of diy investigating and discovered that the cold water storage tank contained very warm water. It appears that heat is tracking back up the feed pipe from the hot water cylinder as this pipe is hot.
Is this possible? If so what can be done?

if your heating header tank is in higher position, than the vent for the cold water storage, and u are finding that the heating ball valve is filling every so often then u know its the cylinder:(
if it was the vent it would have always had this prob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back