hot water in expansion tank-water on CH off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all my first post here but have been learning so much. 2 weeks ago i didn't even know what an expansion tank was!!

anyway the situation. House 23 years old. had new boiler 18 months ago (open vented system with hot water tank in loft). when i was in loft i noticed that the small expansion tank had hot water in. did a bit of research and cleaned out tank. took all water out by hand and was a bit of sludge in bottom but not huge. cleaned out and refilled. managed at same time o shear off the old metal ballcock so replaced withba nice new plastic one.

the hot water was bothering me so after reading a few posts here have investigated further. took a magnet up with me but either the magnet wasn't strong enough or there was no build up in pipes. managed to feed something up the pipe that goes into the tank with a right hand bend in. managed to get past bend and wiggle about and no muck seemed to come out.

at this point waster was cold and water and ch off. switched on hw only and after about 15 minutes the water in exp tank got warm. was watching all this time and nothing was going in via the ballcock arm lever and nothing was going out via the overfeed tube so i have assumed that no water was going in. It seemed that the water was getting hot purely due to the copper pipe that i had previously checked . I followed pipe which went up across then down into bathroom below where hot water tank was.

I don't have any problems with cold spots in rads and last week with friends help changed one original radiator. bit of sludge but to my mind not much but don't know what to compare to really.

Initially i thought problem may have been from pump so turned down from 2 to 1 and also turned temp on water tank to 60. but if just when i was there the ch wasn't on then am i right in saying its not a problem with pump but elsewhere?

if anyone can point me into direction of what i can do about the hot water in exp tank i wd be grateful.

Sponsored Links
The air vent and cold feed may be wrongly positioned on the flow pipe from the boiler. Before the 22 mm pipe goes into the pump it should have 2 pipes connected to it. the vent and cold feed to the F&E tank, if one of these is on the return pipe back to the boiler that is why the water in tank gets hot.

thanks for the quick reply. sadly to me its like asking for directions in a foreign language in that i can ask direction but dont understand whats been said to me!! so forgive me if a ask a couple more just so when i get someone to look at it for me i can at least seem a little knowledgable!

so are you saying that if it is this then its something that happened when i had boiler installed 18 mths ago? (boiler installed in garage and as far as i know he didnt replace anything on hot water tank on floor above where the pump is) or is it somthing thats been wrong ever since house was built?

how can i check this flow pipe you mentioned? and is it generally by the boiler (in garage) or by the pump next to hot water cyclinder (in bathroom)

sorry for all questions

and whats the worst that could happen if i left it as it is?

You will need to get a heating engineer to come round and tell you if the plumbing in your airing cupboard is correct for ventilating air from system etc. I don't know how to explain it without showing you a diagram. And I don't know how to do that with this web site. It won't let me do what I want to do. It may be my fault but sorry cant help you anymore.

Sponsored Links
Mrs, are you quite sure no water is coming out of the vent pipe?

Have you tried tying a plastic bag over the end?

Have you bled all air out of the rads?

It can be quite normal for warm water to enter the EXV from the system when its started from cold.

Tony

You will need to get a heating engineer to come round and tell you if the plumbing in your airing cupboard is correct for ventilating air from system etc. I don't know how to explain it without showing you a diagram. And I don't know how to do that with this web site. It won't let me do what I want to do. It may be my fault but sorry cant help you anymore.

its my problem so dont be sorry!!! but thanks for your help at least i can tell someone what the problem may be which i couldnt do before.

and for info for other poster although I cant be sure i was watching tank for 15 mins in loft and the level didnt appear to move so not sure if water is coming out of pipe

Tie a plastic bag or a condom over the vent pipe.

If any water is coming out it will fill it.

Waiting to see water coming out is like waiting for a panda!

Tony

Tie a plastic bag or a condom over the vent pipe.

If any water is coming out it will fill it.

Waiting to see water coming out is like waiting for a panda!

Tony

Well done Tony that is what I call a reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back