Hot water now cold in the morning. Very slow to warm up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time poster but this site and it’s members have helped me out a few times in the past.
Firstly please forgive my ignorance and terminology when trying to describe my situation but I just wanted to get some advice before I call someone in.

Recently its very obvious that the airing cupboard upstairs is far far cooler than it used to be and that every morning, the tank is cold and it takes an age for the water to heat up with the boiler set to hot water all day. Looking at the tank, it’s an indirect type I believe and feeling the bottom is cold and the top warmish after the heating’s been on for about 2.5 hours. The feed from the boiler to the coil/heat exchanger is scorching hot and the return hot but far cooler (think this would make sense as the heats been removed from the water into the tank via the coil).

I cant figure why the tank looses all it’s heat at night and takes ages to heat up which it will to a decent temp but getting to the stage where I’m going to have the hot water on all day and all night just to ensure a tank of hot water. I just had a shower 6 hours after the boiler kicked on for the hot water (6am) and the water was hot but had to have the dial round in the shower to 80% hot where normally it would be about 50%.

I don’t know if its connected but around the same time this started to be noticeable I swapped out a really old room thermostat for a digital one. This seems to be working fine with the room temp and the rads are fine but I cant see how this would affect the hot water. It was one of those swaps out where the old one used 3 wires and the new one only two (and I believe it was a blue negative wire that was left disconnected). I cant locate the old thermostat to put back to test if it was this was the cause.

Sorry if this is all too vague but I’d like to call someone in but wanted to know first if anyone had any suggestions. I've heard about diaphragms going but not sure if this would cause the issues I’m getting.

Many thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Check the controls are working properly, ie motorised valve(s), cylinder thermostat, timer.

In theory that extra room stat wire shouldn't make a difference - it's just a neutral for the old stat's anticipator. But plumbers traditionally make a hash of the wiring so I would check that the other end of it is connected to all the other neutrals in the wiring centre and not something else.

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with a room stat changed. Are you sure that the cylinder stat is set to55-60 and that the boiler stat is set above this temp?
Also check that you are not losing your hot water through a leak. Sounds basic, but the basics must be checked first before looking for the complicated reasons. What boiler do you have?

sounds like a gravity system to me
The top connection has a pipe also that leads into the roof, would this be the vent?
Check the f&e tank, in the loft, has water in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back