Hot Water On Heating Timer or Use +1hour button lots?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice please.

Our heating system is form a standard non-combi boiler and hot water from storage tank. The Danfoss controller for the system has only the ability to enter a single set of times for timing (on and off three times per day) rather than separate for heating and water.

So at the moment, we have the heating on timed, but do not have the water on timed. For hot water, we push a +1Hour button twice a day which gives us enough hot water in the tank.

Occassionaly we forget, which is a bind.

Considering the fact that when we press +1, the boiler is most likely heating the whole tank up all the way form cold, would it actually be just as economical to have the water also on the timer setting, so that although the hot water is on for longer, the boiler is only using a little heat to keep the temp topped-up over that time?

Using the timer would be more convenient, I’m just concerned about whether or not it works out more expensive.

If anyone has any thought I would really appreciate.
Thanks

PS: Looked through the faq and wiki but didnt really find info and tried a search but so many things come up for hot-water-timer so sorry if this has been covered before

Bob

Sponsored Links
wow that looks fantastic.

Im I right in thinking its a straight replacement for my existing unit using same backplate and so no wiring required? If so, is there a chance my original heating installer (who was terrible and left the system with many problems that needed fixing by others) might have wired anything differently that could stop this working fully?

Also, is the unit same size (looks exactly the same) so as to not foul-up the kitchen tiling around it?

Thanks so much it looks great

Bob

EDIT:
Ive looked a bit more and have also checked my controller front now.
My controller is the CP715
It seems on that brochure page that CP715-SI is the current model of that controller and that the FP715-SI is the exact same version but with the seperate timer controls.

I am therefore right in thinking that I should buy the FP715 and basically just swop the front of the units over, no wiring (obviously turn off power etc) and that this will solve the problem in one straight move?

I would appreciate if somebody would be able to confirm or deny my understanding on this.
Thanks again
Bob

Sponsored Links
Really sorry to bump this, just wondered if anybody did know about the CP715 to FP715 compatibility as I plan to buy it today and am still a bit nervous about wasting the money if it is the wrong part.

Again, very grateful for any info

Thanks
Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back