Hot water only flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there guys, I need a little advice.

myself and the girlfriend just bought a 1 bedroom flat whilst we're at University which has a copper cylinder with 2 elements as the main heating supply. The boiler literally supports 2 hot water taps, 1 in the bathroom and 1 in the kitchen.

We just got a shock when the electricity bill came through and I've decided to look for cheaper alternatives. Of which, I've come across water heaters similar to this NOTE: If linking to outside sides isn't allowed I'll delete the link.

I was just curious of 2 things; will this be suitable for our needs and will it be cheaper in the long run?

Friend is a heating engineer, so labour will be considerably cheaper so that's a less important factor.

Cheers,
Dillan[/url]

Sponsored Links
Is your existing cylinder well lagged?
are you using the immersion heaters properly, if you are on Economy 7 tarrif the bottom Immersion heater should be on from 11pm till 6 am the top immersion heater is used as a day time boost ONLY if neccessary.

it sounds like both heaters have been on 24/7??

the unit you have suggested looks to be very power hungry, there are better alternatives such as a Heatrae sadia multipoint unvented, although one of these would struggle to support a shower, so an instantaneous electric shower could be fitted,

I suspect if you get to grips with what you have you will find running costs to be more reasonable! ;)

With that heater you will probably require a larger electric main incoming cable from the road, it uses up to 75Amps!!!

Boilerman, I meant to mention that we already have an electric shower so that's a cold water feed itself. No need for the heating system to power that :)

We've never really had the heating explained to us on move-in. I thought the control panel (in the kitchen) would be for the heaters only.

EDIT: We have old brick filled storage heaters.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to double post but you guys have actually helped me to conclude something. The people who lived there before us just had a baby and had said they were keeping the heating on 24/7 to keep the house warm. They've obviously not changed it after moving it. *sigh*

Cheers for the help guys, a change might not be needed yet!

I won't be back at the flat til tomorrow so I'll post a pic then. Cheers for the help guys.

myself and the girlfriend just bought a 1 bedroom flat whilst we're at University

Friend is a heating engineer, so labour will be considerably cheaper so that's a less important factor.

Cheers,
Dillan[/url]

Wow! Student grants have become big. I could only afford a shared bedsit!

Thats why I dont do work for friends as they always expect it to be done for nothing/low charges.

myself and the girlfriend just bought a 1 bedroom flat whilst we're at University

Cheers,
Dillan[/url]

Wow! Student grants have become big. I could only afford a shared bedsit!

Thats why I dont do work for friends as they always expect it to be done for nothing/low charges.

That makes me seem like a total douche doesn't it? I just meant that it won't be quite over what I'd expect to pay for it. My bad :p

Just have the immersion heater on for 1 hr per day or less if you only need it to wash the dishes, you can buy a timer cheap at screwfix/toolstation, as said before make sure the cylinder is well lagged & no dripping hot taps, I think buying is a great idea if you got the flat at the right price, my daughter was paying £ 85.00 per wk just rent & after you graduate if you move away you can always rent out the flat to other students & hopefully make a pproffit

We got it at a pretty good price for a 15 yr old flat. How do I go about checking how lagged it is?

That'll almost certainly be for your hot water (possibly the top/sink heater only on a two-heater system) for a daytime boost.

Press Start and the water heater should turn on for a pre-set period of time.

Press Cancel to turn the water heater off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back