Hot water probs, boiler keeps burning when tap switched off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, a really rambling post and probably really simple to you lot, but I’m stumped. My Ferroli combi boiler hot water system is playing up and causing the boiler to shut itself down.

I got home last night to find the heating off and the boiler lcd display flashing code F3 (overheat?) I tried the test cycle, which went fine (though I heard a banging/clattering at one point while I was in the other room), but when that was finished it still wouldn’t work properly. The boiler fires as soon as I run the hot kitchen tap, but continues to burn after the tap is switched off. This causes a rushing noise and the CH pressure gauge climbs quickly. Running the tap again sometimes cures the problem and it switches off, but not always. Often a load of steamy air spurts out of the tap as well when I do this. If I let it carry on burning with the hot kitchen tap closed, the pressure gauge goes up to 2.5 - 3 bar, then it cuts out with code F37 (low pressure) and cuts out, and the pressure drops down to about 2 bar. Often the little tap symbol in the lcd display (to show that the water is being heated) stays on even when the boiler has shut down. I tried the reset button, but it didn't seem to help.

This morning the pressure had dropped to just under 1 bar, F37 flashing and no heating on. Refilled system to about 1.3 bar, system started, hot water worked as it should. After I had a nice warm shower, I tried the tap to see if it was back to normal and more air came out of the kitchen tap, with an ‘E’ flashing in the lcd display. I switched off the hot water on the dial and it returned to normal.

How come it ran the shower happily for 5-10 minutes, but then went funny when I ran the kkitchen hot tap?

Thanks for any advice anybody can give – and if that advice is ‘call someone who knows what they’re doing’, fair enough!

Happy new year everybody, if you're still awake after reading all that. Simon

Sponsored Links
It sounds like two faults, lack of temperature control on DHW and sticking DHW demand switch.

Unless you have a lot of experience with the kind of things used in boilers a professional would be the best bet.

Your model, whatever it is as you did not say, is not liked by most engineers so a manufacturers service agent or a BG fixed price repair would be a good suggestion.

Tony

Thanks for your speedy response, Tony. I can't recall the Ferroli model number off the top of my head, but from what you have suggested I think I'll get on the phone and have it looked at properly.

Not wishing to open a can of worms, but are British Gas generally regarded as OK in terms of their know-how and prices?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back