Hot water pump in airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Sorry i know there are many topics on this, but grateful for someones help. I am very non technical so really wanting to find out who i need to call in.

I have a baxi 3 boiler and over past few months have noticed the airing cupboard is hot 24/7 even though boiler is off. We seem to have 2 pumps in ther airing cupboard and i pulled the levers and they then powered back to there original position. The pums seem to be running 24/7.

Can someone tell me what is likely to be the problem? The only way i can switch the noise off is by turning the mains electrics off as there is no switch in the airing cupboard, the cables go back to a junction box

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Simon

Sponsored Links
It will help if you post some photos of your pipes and pumps around the cylinder and the boiler

This is a pump
p3467462_m.jpg

it is very unusual to have two of them

This is a motorised valve
p4558543_m.jpg

Some people do have two of them

Does your boiler feel hot or cold?

Does the cylinder have an immersion heater?

Do you have a solid-fuel stove or fire?

What sort of insulation is round your cylinder and the hot pipes?

p1053465_l.jpg

210203-ab0-00co_full.jpg

p1050683_l.jpg

210454-ab0-00co_full.jpg

can you see a thermostat strapped to the side of the cylinder?

p4558281_l.jpg

i pulled the levers and they then powered back to there original position
Thats got to be 2 motorised zone valves..... 'S plan'

The pumps seem to be running 24/7.
Theres got to be at least one control somewhere that you are missing. Isn't there a programmer kicking about somewhere that should control it? Perhaps a cyl stat as per the post above or a roomstat?
Maybe a switch near your boiler? Sometimes installers dont like putting controls in an airing cupboard because it is technically still in a bathroom. In these cases there is often a switch secreted away at low level in a nearby room or on a landing/ hallway.

For a more permanent fix I think the outcome might well be that you need one or more motorised valve heads.

Hi All

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. now i have seen your pictures. I can confirm i have one pump and 2 motor valves. I am not sure if the boiler is a hot/cold system. I can confirm the tank insulation is the blue image ie fully enclosed. I can also confirm the tank does have a temp gauage and it is set at 60 degrees. I have heard it could be a faulty PCB which is quite common on the Baxi solo boiler.

Grateful if you have any idea what might be causing this

Many thanks

simon

Sponsored Links
Hi there

Sorry forgot to say. It does have an imersion heater on the tank, which feels a little warm but it is switched off. The boiler feels slightly warm but it is certainly not firing up. Lastly i do not not have any stove fires etc.

Thanks again

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back