Hot water pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a new bath and taps this weekend. The hot water pressure was poor prior to fitting and I suspected fitting new taps would not help the situation and yes, the pressure is now appalling! The cold supply is mains and is still good.

The system is as follows...
1st floor maisonette with loft
Back boiler in lounge
200 litre hot water cylinder in lounge cupboard (may be less, its pretty big tho)
Cold water storage tank in loft
3/4 inch hot pipe from cylinder around house (kitchen sink, bath and basin only)

Can I fit a pump in the loft to boost the hot water pressure to the three taps? I only need to boost the hot water, the cold is fine. To be honest the bathroom is the only room thats suffering from low pressure but im assuming it wont do any harm to boost the whole system?

If it is suitable can someone recommend me a pump?

Any advice greatly received.

EDIT - the hot water pipe runs from the cylinder back in to the loft and then to the kitchen & then bathroom. I am proposing putting the pump on the supply from the cylinder to the taps not the from the tank to the cylinder (hope that makes sense).

Sponsored Links
Grundfos make a pump specifically for this purpose as linked to above.

However, it does need a certain flow rate before it turns on.

Measure your flow rate first to avoid being disapointed.

Tony

thanks for the replys!

i measured the time to fill a 1 litre jug. Kitchen sink 8 secs, bath 16 seconds :(

Dont know how to convert that to pressure but its sod all and the pop up thing for the shower wont stay up!

Sponsored Links
That pump looks ideal and it boosts by 0.50 bar. Will that be enough do you think?

Is there anything suitable that is available from Screwfix or BnQ as they are open Monday? Unfortunately neither seem to supply that pump.

Highly unlikely this kind of kit is availabe from BnPoo you need to go proper plumbers merchants ,even if you order it online i think the merchants can get it to you quicker

To be honest I dont like shopping at BnQ as they are complete rip off! However the missus is not a happy bunny with no shower (neither am I to be honest, but ill keep that to myself). When we have to go back to work on Tuesday and there is no shower it will really hit home! lucky for me I dont go back to work till Tuesday 3rd!

Guess I will have to source one locally on Tuesday. Graham's should have it.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi

Been having a read around on the grundfos pump and noticed this post...

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=203250

Should I check to see if I have this overflow to worry about or is it a given that I would have it? If so will I need to fit a slurry valve or would a non return valve on the overflow cure the problem instead?

Advice from you wise people needed, im nervous im going to stuff this up when I try fitting the pump! Help!

The thread you have posted is not relevant for your system.

Fitting a Grundfos UPA booster pump will improve the flow but is also against the water regulations if directly connected to the mains, you would need to get approval from your water supplier first.

Excuse my ignorance but surely this is relevant to my system? It pretty much is my system isnt it?

The cold is mains throughout the house, the hot is from the cold water storage tank, via cylinder to the taps so not mains.

Yes I agree. Try to use Tankless Water Heaters. It heats water directly without the use of a storage tank. It avoid the standby heat losses associated with storage water heaters. It is one way to live comfortably also. I have get those information from this site Best DFW Plumber

EDIT - the hot water pipe runs from the cylinder back in to the loft and then to the kitchen & then bathroom. I am proposing putting the pump on the supply from the cylinder to the taps not the from the tank to the cylinder (hope that makes sense).

Before you go down the pump line, have you checked that the hot supplies don't have air locked in the pipes? Air will restrict the flow and even stop it .

Turn on one hot tap and let it run. Does it give a nice full flow, or does it slow down or spit as it's flowing? Check with all hot water outlets.

On the hot pipe that rises up into the loft and back down again, have an air release point or is it just a straight run.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back