Hot water/radiator mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hotwater in my house was getting far far far too hot. Until fixing it last night, I had been sticking the hotwater/central heating on for an hour or so when needed then turning it off again. This seemed fine -everything got roasting dead quick then cooled.

I assumed the hot water thermostat had gone and replaced it last night. Stuck the heating and hot water on to see if it worked and it did. The hot water still got excruciatingly hot as did the radiators though. The room thermostat seems to have very little to do with if the radiators are hot. It seems to be the hot water thermostat that governs everything (badly - still all too hot). Worse still, the radiators werent on this morning when the timer thought they were.

Whats going on?? Any help much appreciated!

PS. Three radiators have been removed downstairs for some building work to get done, but I assume this shouldnt affect things.

Sponsored Links
The guys will need more information.
Boiler type
sealed or open
Gravity fed
fully pumped
Etc. Any information you can give will help

Its a gravity fed system, sealed and fully pumped (I think). Im not sure what boiler type off hand. Pretty bog standard sytem I think -
Boiler in understair cupboard with pump adjacent to it, thermostat and timer on wall outside of cupboard. Pipes go up and beneath the floor to the hot water cylinder in the bathroom. Thermostat on outside of cylinder. Cold water tank in loft. This feeds 3 radiators upstairs, all with TRVs, and a further 3 downstairs, which arent plumbed in at the minute.

Any clues really gratefully received. Im despairing at the flippin thing.

So far we have established you have an open vented, pumped system.

How old is it?

Have you had any work on it in the last year?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a faulty valve(S)

do you have a thrre port valve mate if so what type?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back