Hot water recirculation pump good idea? Grundfos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
Hopefully a simple one for you guys.
Firstly, is it worth installing a circulation pump on the hot water system? The unvented tank will be in the garage (back corner of the house), and the ensuite will be pretty much the furthest opposite corner to it so I'm thinking it could take some considerable time to get the water to the taps/mixer shower.
Secondly, if yes I should fit one, does it have to be a specific pump or would the nearly new Grundfos UPS 15/50 on the currently installed system be useable?
Thanks all.
Alex

Sponsored Links
Its a good idea. Will save lots of water. You need a specific pump for this. They used to be bronze, but I believe stainless steel has taken over. Do google for hot water circulator for choice available.

They always used to be bronze, but as above, stainless steel seems to be the “modern” option.

You will need to run the secondary return pipework as close to the draw off’s as possible so not to get any “deadlegs”.

And of course your cylinder will need a tapping for secondary return.

In domestic situations you could run the pump on a timer, in hotels etc they tend to tun 24/7

Last edited:
Pumped recirculation will provide almost instant hot water at distant outlets as mentioned above a return circuit will need to be installed and sometimes insulated.your installer will know and its worth the expense (y).

Grundfos UPS 15/50
you will need a so called 'bronze'pump.

good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thanks very much guys.
I will be doing the work, well I'll run the return back to the tank/boiler spot and let the engineer (when I find one) do the last connections and check my work. I've got loads of armaflex insulation so I'll be using that on the flow and return hopefully.
Everything i'd read suggested using a low tech plug near the pump with a simple segment timer built in to it, so that saves me poor little brain working anything else out. Lol.
So as for the pumps...... any I should avoid? Any you'd recommend?

Wont this solution cool your hot water very much quicker as it's being circulated around the house ? and thus you'll need more energy to keep it up to temp ?

Thanks very much guys.
I will be doing the work, well I'll run the return back to the tank/boiler spot and let the engineer (when I find one) do the last connections and check my work. I've got loads of armaflex insulation so I'll be using that on the flow and return hopefully.
Everything i'd read suggested using a low tech plug near the pump with a simple segment timer built in to it, so that saves me poor little brain working anything else out. Lol.
So as for the pumps...... any I should avoid? Any you'd recommend?
If your cylinder doesn’t have an extra connection the simply T into coldwater inlet of the cylinder and install non return valve before and after the pump got good practice.

This might work

A thermal switch on each T junction feeding a tap can be used to turn the pump on when the water at any tap off point is below the required temperature for that tap.

The thermal switches can be wired in parallel. I would use a relay to control mains power to the pump and wire the switch(es) on an ELV circuit to avoid mains having to be wired around the switch(es).

The ELV supply would be from a plug top power supply unit plugged into a simple segment timer.

There is something like that already from memory. Fits between the taps as such on the furthest sink. I'll have to have another look.

@CWHEATING I'm going for a Joule indirect and from what I can see/read it's got a secondary return built in to it near the top. :)

I quite like the setup where you have an occupancy sensor in the restrooms that brings the secondary pump on for a few seconds. It works well in big houses

The grunny secondaries have built in timeclocks

I quite like the setup where you have an occupancy sensor in the restrooms that brings the secondary pump on for a few seconds. It works well in big houses

The grunny secondaries have built in timeclocks
Yeah that sounds like a great idea. Probably the best thing to do.

There is something like that already from memory. Fits between the taps as such on the furthest sink. I'll have to have another look.

@CWHEATING I'm going for a Joule indirect and from what I can see/read it's got a secondary return built in to it near the top. :)
It’s actuslly a secondary draw off but people do use it for hotwwater circulation pumps too. It makes it easier but I’ve always felt Teeing in to the cold feed was the better option. It keeps a better circulation on the cylinder water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back