Hot Water Tank (and boiler?) Working, but CH/Water Timer not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Just woken up in the night by the sound of our water tank (loud as in over working than over loud if that makes sense).
I was sounding like it had been on for ages and was warm in the airing cupboard.
Water pressure was fine.

Went downstairs and the timer for the CH was off, and timer for the water was on timed (but not on as not a designated time).

Checked the boiler unit and it also sounded to be fired up, so thought a bit strange.
There is a dial on the front that says minimum to maximum.
It was (and always has), been on maximum.
I turned it to minimum and the boiler kicked off.
Went upstairs and the water tank was still going.
Have ended up going back downstairs and turning the central heating off by the switch, which subsequently turns the boiler off.

I'm guessing and hoping my actions are ok?

Any ideas what might have happened? It was like the water tank was in overdrive.
I'm hoping its just an"off/on" trick but feel a large bill on its way!

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Just a little more information now I'm awake!

For information, the boiler unit is an Ideal Icos (ground floor) with a tank on the second floor (three storey house).

Noticed last night when I wa checking things out, the boilers 'burner' light was on whilst the tank seemed to be working, but the HW and CH were all off (CH off on the timer, and HW on timer, but not in timed period).
The wife said she has also noticed steam coming out of the extraction (?) during the day now and again when nothing was on.

Anyway, have turned it all back on this morning, and interesting to hear the tank shut off, presumably, when the temperature was reached (CH and HW both on this morning, and still on when the tank shut off. Also burner light stopped when I checked after the tank had shut off).

Might be resolved, but probably not or at least an uderlying problem.

So thoughts really welcome.

Thermostat or timer issues perhaps?

Hmmmm....going to have to try and remember as I'm not at home now.
I do believe it is something like the second picture?

Sponsored Links
If that is the case, then I would start there and check the valve is switching off correctly.

Cheers Pete. Is that an easy thing to do?

Have noticed that despite this morning, we are having the same issue tonight.
I have however noticed something else strange.

So, timer on timed and not on. No red lights on the timer (Potterson?) to indicate it is on.
Timer is 17.30 to 19.00. Noticed at 18.40 before knowing this that the radiators (so CH) had not been on and no sound from the water tank.
About 19.00, the boiler has the burner light and the status of 'C' and the water tank is going overtime again. Radiators perhaps have actually come on at some point, but not on like the HW.
Turning the boiler off stops the water tank, but turning it back on again turns the water tank on again (still no red lights on the timer).
However turning on this morning it seemed to be in line with the timer and turn everything off at the be of the timer.

So my question is, is perhaps the timer gone?

Hi Pete. Had a quick look at the boxes.

I have two?

1. Silver Honeywell with black wire. Switch set to automatic (can't read the other settings).
2. White box with white wire. Switch set to automatic with other option of manual (?)

Not sure if this helps?

Those valves have a micro switch which should open when the valve is in the closed position. One of those switches is staying closed and keeping the boiler running. Finding which one is not difficult, but requires a fair understanding of this type of system control. It does sound like you have a mix of Honeywell and ?Danfoss / Sunvic valves. A competent heating guy will suss that fault in less than 15 mins and if the valves are not siezed may simply replace the faulty head assy.

Thanks. Needing to get the boiler serviced so may throw this one in as well.

Thanks again. Really appreciate the guidance.

Strange this.
I went back in to the airing cupboard and moved both switches from automatic to manual and back again a few times.
So far, touch wood, it's all working fine again :eek:/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back