Hot water tank choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have had a search of the forum but no success and so here is my dilemma. I want to replace my current vented indirect hot water cylinder (fully pumped on Y plan) as it does not provide enough water for a decent bath and 2 showers in a row is about its limit even with the immerser on, I think that it is a 950 * 450 tank.

The dilemma is should I go for an unvented albion superduty 120l tank or a similar sized unvented tank. What are the pros and cons including time to fit? Pressure for a shower is not bad but would probably be nicer with the higher pressure, but is it worth double to cost?

What about relative reliability?

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
sorry dont know about cylinder but water pressure will be same surely, as that determined by tank in loft or wherever it is.

Your boiler will be 15 kW or more, probably, so the 3kW immersion will make begger all difference. Your "36 x 18" probably has the pipes from the boiler coming in/out very close together, so the coil in there is weedy giving you a slow reheat. Modern cylinders are much better on that.

Unvented is (assuming various things) also quick to reheat, and yes gives lots more pressure. Think more like 5 - 10 times the price though, and it isn't something you'd fit yourself. If you messed up and enough went wrong it would blow the house apart.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Thanks for your advice, boiler should be up to it, I hope. I think I will stick to vented, just couldn't quite decide if the extra water pressure was worth it, probably not, if it distresses me that much then I will fit a pump.

Ninjaboy, the difference with an unvented water tank is that it works under pressure and therefore you get mains pressure hot water, this also enables you to place the tank anywhere in the house.

I was not going to tackle the unvented myself but I will fit the vented, I have a healthy fear of those things which are likely to blow-up :D

Andrew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back