hot water tank leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
came home to find water leaking looks like from the boiler as i have checked the pipe work all around and found water only at the bottom of the tank and around.how do i drain the tank?and can i still run cold water with the boiler removed?cheers

Sponsored Links
have you checked to see whre its coming from...the leak, that is

Sponsored Links
from what i can see the water is all around the bottom on the floor,have checked pipes around and they look ok.

if your sure u cant find the leak on the pipework you can see , then its a bit more involved.

drain down the cold water tank in the loft. (close cold feed to it and turn hot tap on) or isolate the hot water tank if the pipe has a valve.

empty the hot water tank via the drain off point ?? near the bottom of the cylinder.. (some may not have one fitted and require a length of pipe on a hose and a good suck to get some syphonage going)...like i say...rather involved if ur not familiar with it all

would say the bottoms had it's day.

the draincock will be on the bottom of the feed pipe from the loft cws.

cheers for that.it has'nt got a drain off so will get a bit of pipe.once tank is removed can i run the cold water?

cold water on the mains will be ok
if you have any cold taps run of the cws then just make sure the cylinder feed pipe is isolated properly.

not sure if i'm too late with this post, but are you 100% sure the leak is at the bottom of the cylinder, water will always run down between the cylinder and foam lagging so it could be coming from the immersor, or a blank plug round the back (always at the back :evil: ) might be worth a good investigation, or if you can drain it and do without the water for a day leave it in situ, cause when drained you will get most of the water out but not all, so if there is a leak in the cylinder base it might still leak out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back