hot water tank sprung a leak, safe to use coal fire still?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, my hot water tank sprung a leak (couple of pin holes) and i tried to fix it with jbweld and some other epoxy but that didnt work and the water still found a way out, its an old system we have with the coal fire heating the bit at the back then powers the radiators and hot water (i say power but they are tepid at best not very efficient)

so the house is freezing till i get the funds sorted to sort this out, i drained the hot water tank and have lit a small fire not wanting to blast it and get the heaters going (is this even possible)

is it safe to have a fire on even though the hot water tank is switched off, am i going to explode?

thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
I'm definitely no expert but as long as you've simply stopped the tank filling up then there's no reason why the circuit will explode, as it should still be vented (I'm assuming it is vented!).

However, normally you can damage the back boiler through overheating when you light a fire whilst it's dry.

As to how much damage you've done, who knows, but I'd assume is won't be major if you only lit a small fire for a short length of time. I'd imagine it's high temperature which will do the damage.

Good luck

If you must light a fire then it would seem that there is not going to be anywhere for the heat to go in the water circuit.

So my advice would be to NOT light a fire until the cylinder has been replaced.

You have not said what the hot tank is made of or why its leaking.

If its copper then usually a temporary repair can be made by soldering it.

But holed in two places makes it sound as if its likely to be all ready for more holes to form!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back