Is it safe to move a hot water tank to the loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it safe to move a hot water tank into the loft space? I have 4 kids and my wife is paranoid that the tank is going to burst and leak "boiling" water onto them all as they sleep.

There was a recent case involving a young child being fatally scolded in this way.

What are the common pitfalls I can plan against?

Sponsored Links
The unfortunate accident that made the news was the result of a failure of the COLD water storage tank that had been overheated by a faulty immersion heater. It was not a failure of the hot cylinder.

More recent immersion heaters incorporate an additional overheat cutout to reduce the chances of another occurance.

For a gravity system, the hot cylinder needs to be below the level of the cold water storage for the system to function. That may be impossible to achieve if headroom is limited.

The reduced height of the hot cylinder open vent can make pumped supplies to showers etc. problematic.

Heat loss from the hot cylinder will be higher because of the lower temperature in the loft. The losses from the cylinder could no longer be considered as a contribution to the heating of the habitable space in the house.

A little bit of overkill maybe but I saw recently in a commercial building a big steel tray (with wastepipe) underneath the tanks, could maybe give your wife a bit more piece of mind ;)

Sponsored Links
A little bit of overkill maybe but I saw recently in a commercial building a big steel tray (with wastepipe) underneath the tanks, could maybe give your wife a bit more piece of mind ;)
that is called a bund and is there to catch overflow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back