hot water too hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my hot water is scalding hot. I have turned thermostat on tank down. I have switched the hw option on the boiler controller to off - but as the ch has been on alot the water is still boiling. surely if I say not hw then it should cool down?

Sponsored Links
hw in a cylinder can take aday etc to cool if you have only just turned the stat down on the cylinder.

what was it on ?
what is it now ?

if you set it to 60 degrees and tomorrow finding it is still getting to hot when hw turned off or stat satisfied you may need to check you motorised valve isn't letting by.

Sponsored Links
ages ago, today, yesterday ?
to what ?
weeks ago. out of desperation turned hw off on controller, then realised that if the ch was on the water was boiling. Surely it should just heat the radiators......

if you have a motorised vakve controlling the hw and ch turn everything off, let the system cool then turn on the ch only. then feel the inlet to the flow to the cylinder and see if it heats, if it does you have aproblem with the relevant motorised valve.

what sort of heating system is it? gravity, y ,s or other?
don't get technical on me! its a 4 year old new house and I know its not a combi boiler - just bog standard ch system (sorry if that doesn/t help)

if you have a motorised vakve controlling the hw and ch turn everything off, let the system cool then turn on the ch only. then feel the inlet to the flow to the cylinder and see if it heats, if it does you have aproblem with the relevant motorised valve.
have had hw off for days. have noticed inlet pipe has been red hot when ch on.

thers your answer then... whichever motorised valve is controling it is passing. it may just be a jammed atuator, but id recommend replacing the innards too if you can. if you cant remove the innards change the whole valve

thers your answer then... whichever motorised valve is controling it is passing. it may just be a jammed atuator, but id recommend replacing the innards too if you can. if you cant remove the innards change the whole valve
just had the gas man round. he says "everything appears to be doing what it should". he said that the pipe into the bottom of the water tank with the big red tap/knob on it was fully open so he has tightened it. said something about backfitting - think that was the word he used. Hope he just couldn't be bothered to sort out valves and things..am going to see if what he has done makes any difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back