Hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this is my first time posting but I'm hoping someone can help as Google is not helping ‍♀️.

I moved in to this house 6 years ago, and my hot water has always been run off of the electric and heating by gas.

I recently had an issues with no heating/ hot water and my HA sent an engineer out. He explained that it was the most expensive way to run it and asked if he should show me how to run them both together to which I replied with a "No thankyou I'm ok".

Since then, my hot water is only running through the gas ( it's a prepayment meter and costing around £50 pw).

Could someone please tell me how to get back to my original situation as I don't want to be putting that much gas on through the summer. TIA

Sponsored Links
Can you post photos of your programmer and airing cupboard please? £50/w is a huge amount of gas, even on a prepayment meter. I'd be looking into where that's going.

Reactions: CBW
electric would be via an emersion heater - and should have a switch to turn on/off - you may have 2 , one on a timer bottom one and a middle/top one for a boost in the day
ours only had the 1 emersion heater element

so in addition to the other photos requested , a photo of the tank would also help and any other switches for the hot water

when we had a tank , i had the programmer on for 2 hours early morning and then 2 hours late afternoon for gas - NEVER used the emersion heater - just too expensive to run

How many in the family and how large is the house
Do you also cook with gas , or run anything else on GAS

only 2 of us in a bungalow
We have a gas hob, and now have a combi boiler (changed Sept 23 - so no hot water tank) and over the last 4 months not much change in the gas KW used per day

Gas is 6.6p per KWH and Electric is 26.19p per KWH (due to change again in April ) , so electric almost 4 times more expensive

BUT you may have a reduced overnight rate with something like Economy 7 - Day rate will be higher , we used to have E7 and decided NOT to have it in new bungalow - even at the old rates, we would not make enough use overnight consumption, to make it pay... looking at around the 40/60 ratios for Night v Day

we are probably running at around £40-£50 per week .... over this winter , but over the last year £28 a week
BUT in 2021 before the price hike , we ran at £11 a week

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Could you not just get another engineer from your HA?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back