Hotpoint Aquarius WF540 washing machine - drum doesn't turn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope someone can help.

Got above washing machine, but the drum doesn't turn... water comes in and gets pumped out and the motor starts up as if to turn the drum but the drum doesn't turn.

The motor makes a slightly higher pitched noise than usual?

When the wife got home from work she did say there were some flashing lights, but they aren't flashing now...

Where do I start?

Many Thanks
G

Sponsored Links
Right. Put it on a wash and let us know what lights flash. Or try a spin see what happens it will default straight away.

Thanks.

I've set it running on a quick wash and it ran through the whole cycle as normal except the drum didn't turn at all.

No flashing lights - maybe she got it wrong...

The water came in, the motor ran as if was turning the drum, it pumped the water out and the motor ran for the spin.

Does this suggest lack of drive between the motor and the drum... I assume there's some kind of belt in their?

I'll see if I can get the machine out of the slot and open it up to look...

Aaahhh... finally managed to get the lid off! It needed one hell of a push to get it moving, and the belt has slipped off!

Opened the little panel at the bottom and here it is... doesn't look damaged, but now I need to work out how to get it back on... Looks like the whole surround is one piece, so would be a pain to have to work out how to get the whole thing off... time for some keyhole surgery I think!

Sponsored Links
Well, that was awkward!

Belt back on, but also noticed a leaking inlet pipe, so that'll have to be replaced before I can test it out... now have machine exposing its guts in middle of kitchen.. she'll not be best pleased as it has to stay like this until I can get a replacement hose.. lets hope I can find a local shop that sells a replacement that's long enough!

Sorted :)

Mega Brownie points for fixing washing machine myself.
Only spending £6 on a new hose was good value too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back