Hotpoint Aquarius WM13P --- repair is a possibility!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Hotpoint Aquarius WM13P washing machine (13 years old) was making a terrible banging when spinning, so today my wife decided to buy a new machine.
So I decided to strip down the old machine to see just what was wrong. I got the Haynes Washing Machine Manual (2006) from the local library and followed the instruction for replacing bearings. The manual was spot on for about 95% of the instructions. The door seal was held in by a wire ring and not a plastic spacer. And although it noted than the spindle securing nut had a left hand thread it actually undid in an anti-clockwise direction. I managed to get down to the bearings in less than 1 hour. It really isn’t that difficult (I surprised myself!).
What greeted me was horrendous. The spider holding the inner drum had sheared off all three legs. I am amazed that the poor machine actually managed to do its final spin.
So persuaded my wife to hold off on the new machine. I checked on the web and found new spider and bearings for £40.00. Oh! and I needed a new door seal and gasket £15.00. The new machine was off I was going for the repair. It was then I noticed that the uncontrolled spinning of the drum had sawn halfway through the heating element (£20.00). This put it outside economical repair and I scrapped it.

I stand corrected, but this Hotpoint looks easy to repair and prices of some of the spares look quite reasonable. Admittedly, when stripping the machine, it was in the middle of a concrete driveway with access available from all sides and no deadline and no worries because it was due to be replaced anyway.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back